Since roadside assistance is not that expensive, it should be included in every new and long-time car owner’s priority list. Roadside assistance offers both safety and convenience, especially when it comes to dealing with unexpected car interruptions. Moreover, it provides immediate help when you’re stranded in the middle of nowhere. That said, how long does roadside assistance take to arrive?
In general, it depends on where you are calling from. If your location is too far from a service provider, you may probably have to wait for a while. In addition, how long you wait could be affected by several factors including the weather condition, the service you requested, and your service provider’s schedule.
Below, we explore a few more detailed answers to your question, so read on to find out more including tips on what to do while waiting.
How Long Does Roadside Assistance Usually Take to Arrive?
Research reveals that drivers who make use of an in-vehicle telematics system like OnStar take about 34 minutes of waiting for a service provider to arrive. This is followed by the driver who used their phone with around 46 minutes of waiting. Using a landline phone comes last with more or less 50 minutes before roadside assistance arrives.
Here are some added points to ponder:
- At Neighborhood Roadside Assistance in New Jersey, it usually takes 15-35 minutes for us to arrive so we can assist a car owner or driver.
- While some sources mention that roadside assistance may approximately arrive within 50 to 60 minutes, there can be external factors that cause delays.
- The estimated time of arrival may also vary depending on the kind of assistance you are seeking.
- Some companies prioritize speed, while others focus on their quality of service. On the other hand, there are those that aim to satisfy both.
What to Do While Waiting for Your Roadside Assistance to Arrive
When your car suddenly malfunctions, here’s what you should do while waiting for roadside assistance:
- Change the position of your car towards the roadside. This is for your safety and not to bother other cars on the way. Try to push your car away from the middle of the road towards a safe area and pull-over.
- Switch on your hazard lights. Hazard lights can be your signal to other passing cars to inform and help them be watchful to avoid accidents. Aside from that, you may also want to use your reflective triangles or other equipment or tools to help you give warning.
- Fix your belongings ahead of time. Securing important items should be done before the roadside assistance arrives. This will save time and avoid any things left behind in the car.
- Prepare the necessary paperwork. The roadside assistance will surely look for your car’s details and so being ready with the paperwork, your Identification Card and other pertinent documents can make a difference.
- Don’t use your mobile phone too much. The phone is very essential in the waiting process. All communications are possible because of it. Avoid using your phone for watching videos, scrolling over social media, or playing games as it may drain your battery sooner than you expected, and locating you may even delay help.
- Stay inside the car. If there are no major accidents, and you are on the side of the road already, better stay inside the car. Put your seat belts on. Lock your car and be alert when a stranger approaches you. Do not stay ahead, at the back or on the side of the car.
- Be calm and mindful of things around you. Do not panic. Stay focused while waiting for roadside assistance.
After calling a roadside assistance company and expressing your needs, the waiting game begins. As much as you want your car troubles to be addressed right away, you just can’t be sure about the exact time help arrives.
The arrival of a service provider may depend on the distance between your location and theirs. The shorter the distance, the sooner roadside assistance will come.
If you happen to be in New Jersey and you want the fastest response time with the highest quality roadside assistance, give Neighborhood Roadside Assistance a call. With us, you can be sure that help will arrive anytime soon.
In the meantime, occupying your time wisely should be established then. First, you should park your car on the side of the road to avoid traffic and accidents, then turn on your hazard lights to warn everyone passing by. Be mindful of your stuff and set them aside in a bag.
Take out all the important documents related to the car and your identification to hasten the roadside assistance process when it arrives. Do not overuse your cellular phone as it can be your only means of communication. More importantly, stay calm and be conscious of the things around you.